I don’t know when or how, but our house was invaded by an army of fruit flies. They didn’t take long to start multiplying! I must have brought them home with something from the store or the farm. A week ago I was telling a friend about my problem and she told me how to get rid of them. At first I was a little skeptical but out of desperation I finally gave it a try
It’s a little hard to tell but there are 11 of those little buggers dead in that bowl. So what was my friend’s tip? I combined dish soap, apple cider vinegar, and water. That’s it! I filled the bowl up left it on the counter and a few hours later, Voila! So thankful for my dear friend. I can’t wait to tell her how well it worked.
After checking out the target ad and the target coupons, I made yet another trip to Target. So here are the deals that I got today:
2 up & up 24 packs of crayons @ $0.25/each (on sale)
2 up & up bottles of glue @ $0.25/each (on sale)
– combined with $1.00 off any 4 up & up school supplies mobile coupon = FREE!!!
Annie’s Cheddar Snack Mix $3.39
– target online coupon $0.50 off combined with manufacture coupon $0.50 off = $2.39
Right Guard $2.99
-target online coupon $2.00 off = $0.99
Target pasta sauce $0.97 (on sale)
Target pasta $1.00 (on sale)
-Target online coupon $1.00 off when you purchase both target pasta & sauce = $0.97
Target 6 ct bagels 2/$2.50 (on sale)
-combined with target online coupon $1.00 off any 2 (6ct) target bagels = $1.50
Target Ice Cream $2.79 (on sale)
– target online coupon $1.00 any 1.5 qt ice cream = $1.79
Target Organic Raw Wildflower Honey $1.98 (on clearance)
So my family was in need of a few things and in want of a few others this weekend. Have you ever done that? Stopped to evaluate a purchase to decide if it is a need or a want? I am trying to get in the habit of that, although it can deflate your shopping bag if you are truly honest with yourself. Not that it isn’t ok to get wants, it’s just when you are on a budget they might be less often.
So here are a few of our wants:
1. A new swim suit for our oldest daughter. She currently has one that fits really well and the others are getting small. Since we are going on vacation in less than 2 months (excited to share our trip!) we wanted her to have 2 suits. One for the ocean and the other for the pool. We were able to pick up a cute one at Old Navy for just $5! It was an awesome deal and our bank account was happy for only a small dent.
2. School Supplies- You might be thinking, wait aren’t these necessary? Yes and no. We already stocked up on school supplies a few weeks ago. This trip our daughter wanted to purchase a small composition notebook so she can keep a journal. As we walked into Walmart we were greeted with a list of suggested donations for a local organization that gives children in need school supplies. Mindful of our budget here are a few items we picked up to donate:
6 pocket folders with clasps $0.15/ each
2 composition books $0.50/ each
4 packs of 24 crayons $0.25/each
2 packs of #2 pencils $0.47/ each
Even though it was just a little bit it was nice because it sparked a great conversation with 2 of our children (the 3rd is still a baby). We explained why we were purchasing them and talked about how blessed we are. Which in turn also lead to talking about gratefulness. I love taking these little life moments and using them to teach!
1. Underwear for our middle child. He has almost out grown his underwear, so when we found a 7 pack of licensed characters at Target for just under $6 we grabbed them up!
2. Groceries. I picked up a few of our groceries and was able to get some great deals! Annie’s mac and cheese was on sale 10/$10, croissants for $1.79, (2) 16 packs of tortillas for $0.69, (3) Applegate Sunday Bacon $2.49 each, and finally a free tube of Colgate toothpaste! Yes FREE! Kroger’s had a online coupon that you can load onto your plus card for a free 4.6 tube of Colgate toothpaste!
3. Winter Clothes– Thanks to some shopping a few months ago I bought some winter clothes for the baby and our son at Gymboree (on clearance!) I spent enough on them to earn Gymbucks. This weekend is the last weekend to redeem them and I was able to purchase 4 new pairs of pants for $25 for our 7 year old.
So what great deals do you score this weekend?
Daises are such a cheerful and whimsical flower! Pure white petals full of promise, surrounding a sunny yellow center. These happy little flowers seem common place next to exotic lilies or romantic roses. Yet these flowers never fail to bring a smile to my face. I’m a daisy type person. I may seem common place, but I have a lot going for me. So why do I fall into the trap of keeping up with the lilies and roses (aka The Joneses)? It to took me a long time to figure that out and I am guilty of forgetting sometimes. What I have learned is that trying to be something that you are not can breed discontentment. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to live life like that. This blog is dedicated to my learning how to live a cheerful, happy life, even if it is only on a dime!