This is a classic comfort soup that is great! If you are gluten-free simply use rice pasta, or if you are completely grain-free try cooking a spaghetti squash and using that as a substitute. Home-made broth really helps set this soup apart and is full of vitamins. If you would like to make your own stock, please visit my recipe for that.
6 c chicken broth
shredded meat from 1 chicken
5 large carrots, sliced
2 celery stalks plus the inside leafy part, sliced
1 medium onion diced
8 oz noodles
2 TB Parsley
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper
1. In a stock pot over medium heat cook the onion until soft (5 minutes) stirring occasionally.
2. Add carrots and celery and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken, thyme, and broth. Cook for another 15-20 minutes or until the carrots start to soften.
4. About 10 minutes before serving make sure the pot is at a boil and add the noodles. Cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
5. Add parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve.