Over the years it has been much debated as to how healthy it is to eat beef. I propose that it isn’t so much as if beef in general is healthy, but the type of beef. As most of you know I am for organic produce and meats. But here are 6 reasons why grass-fed is better than grain-fed beef.
1. TASTE- If you have ever had a steak or roast from a grass-fed cow, I don’t see how you could possibly ever go back. There is so much more flavor in grass-fed beef. If you have never tried it, you don’t know what you are missing!
2. LESS FAT- Grass-fed cows are healthier than grain-fed cows. Grass-fed cows are allowed more space to wander and eat healthier. It use to be that you would be hard pressed to find a grain- fed cow, but with the way of economics, farmers have found a way that helps them keep up with the great demand. As an example, if I cook 1 lb or grass-fed ground beef, I have just enough fat to keep the meat from sticking to the pan. The meat is by no means greasy, I have also not asked for a lean type of beef. That is just how it is with the grass-fed. However with grain-fed, to get the same results you must order lean ground beef, which is utterly devoid of all the flavor of the grass-fed, leaving much to be desired.
3. HIGHER IN VITAMINS- On average grass-fed beef contains more vitamins than grain-fed. It is also well know that beef in general has a high amount of iron.
4. OMEGA 3- Studies have been done to show that grass-fed beef has up to 5 times the amount of omega 3 in it than grain-fed beef. Omega 3’s are heart healthy and have many physical benefits.
5. CLA-conjugated linoleic acid. I won’t pretend that I understand everything about CLA, but what I do understand is positive! Like omega 3 it is a healthy fat, that is still being researched to find out all the great benefits that come from consuming it. I look forward to all the new insights that will be coming out in the next few years and have great hopes that it will be the “in thing” for health as omega 3’s.
For more information on this new healthy fat please visit:
6. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT- It is much more humane for the animals than grain-fed beef. Cows were not meant to be kept in feed lots, standing in their own manure with no way to get out of it. Grain is no doubt more cost-effective, it lacks the essential nutrients for a healthy cow. Corporate farms feed cows this grain because it is cheaper, they can get more cows per acre, and they get more at market because the cows are fatter. We as a society understand that eating junk food all the time is unhealthy and can kill us. Why do we then not understand that eating animals that are essentially fed (for them) junk food, is not only unhealthy for them, but for us as well? If you have ever watched Food INC. , you would come away with the understanding that most of the beef on the market today (had they not been slaughtered) would have still died soon there after because of the way they were fed.
*For more information please visit http://www.eatwild.com or if you wish to see where the food you buy in the supermarket really comes from, I encourage you to watch Food INC If you have a Netflix account you should be able to stream to your computer or tv.